Using Sigil Wheels

There are many ways to create a magical sigil, from runes to reduction and more. One of my favourite ways is using a wheel.

What is a sigil?

A sigil is basically a symbol created for the purpose of magic. You can think of it as a pictorial representation of your intentions. That is the focus as it is those intentions that are key to the outcome. For example, I have created a Protect sigil for this website to provide both protection for the site and for those who visit it. My intention to make my site a safe and protective place.

How to create one

As I mentioned, there are a great many ways to do this, but one of my favourites is the use of a Sigil Wheel. There are several examples out there, but most important is that the wheel needs to feel right to you and how you use it. Most of the ones I encountered didn't really feel quite right, they felt unbalanced. I like symmetry, I feel there is much power in that, and so I designed my wheel with that in mind.

Now, before you even begin to create the sigil, it is time to put focus on your intentions for the sigil. Things like:

  • I want ...
  • I need ...
  • I am ...

When I created the sigil for this page, my intention was I want to protect this site, and all who visit it, from harm. From that, I decided that the most important word in that intention was protect and that is what I used to create the sigil.

Once you have established your intentions and fixed them firmly in your mind, you can create your sigil. This is the wheel I created, but it's simply an example and you are free to use this one if you wish or go ahead and create your own.

To start your sigil, place a dot in the space for the first letter and then begin drawing your line out and to the next letter, keep going letter to letter until you reach your last one and finish with a little fish tail or cross. Don't over think the flow of the line, just let your heart, energy, and intention guide your hand as you do it, there is no right or wrong and your lines can cross!

Here's an example, for Peace that I created for my home. My intention was that I want all who enter my home to be at peace. Which, for me, meant that peace was the important word and I placed that on to paper, put it in a small jar with amethyst, sea salt, and rosemary and hung it by my front door.


Using it

You have a few choices, really, it all depends on why you created it. For my site, I embedded the image of the sigil in the page so that it's protection is always present. For my home, I placed it into a jar as part of a jar spell and put it near my entrance. Some will burn their sigils as part of a larger ritual or place it on a surface to carry with them. There's really no limit here, do what makes sense for the purpose.


Comments