Imbolc


About half way between Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox is Imbolc, a celebration of longer days and the renewal of life.

The name Imbolc literally means in the belly and it's a reference to the time of year when many animals, notably sheep, are pregnant and marks the growing length of the days as the renewal of Spring is just before us. Imbolc goes from sundown on Feb 1st to sundown on Feb 2nd following the ancient Celtic tradition of new days starting with setting of the Sun.

While I don't personally follow the religious aspect of Imbolc, which is sacred to Brigid the Celtic Goddess of Fertility for many, there is a feeling of that we're entering that last gasp of Winter before life renews in the Spring that I can truly appreciate. It is interesting, being in Canada, that February is often the coldest month of the year, arguably the least spring-like month, but I liken it to the candle burning it's brightest before it burns out.

This year, I am focused on my own life renewal as a significant one awaits me in less than two weeks, and so I will be lighting candles to sustain my energy for that. With my cat reacting so poorly to incense, I will have a small simmer pot with basil, rosemary, and cinnamon to bring in the scents of the season. 

So, tomorrow, I think it's an array of candle light, the warm scent of cinnamon, and a relaxing and soothing evening for Imbolc. What is more renewing than that?

Comments